Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Baby Mac 3 and 1/2 months old

Our big boy
It is crazy how fast baby is growing! He was born weighing 5lbs 9 oz. and was 17 in. long, and now he weighs almost triple that...according to my bathroom scale...at almost 14 lbs and is now 2 feet long!  I don't think that surprises anyone, however, with his chipmunk cheeks and thunder thighs! 

Some recent developments:
  • He is now eating about 6 oz. each meal and I am still breastfeeding, which I love, and feeds are down to about 12-15 min.! Which is amazing considering the first 3 months he took on average 45 minutes to an hour to feed. He is getting much more efficient!
  • He is on a 3 hour eat, wake, sleep schedule up to the minute most times.
  • When he hit 3 months old I decided I could finally fully implement Babywise. However, instead of McKay sleeping better with an 8:00am wake-up time and an 8:00 pm bedtime, he slept incredibly worse, waking 3 times a night like he did as a newborn!  Since that miserable, sleepless week of dedication, I have since sworn off Babywise for the past 2 days and have gotten 7 beautiful consecutive hours of sleep each night...go figure!
  • With him sleeping through the night, he has dropped 2 feedings, his dream feed which was around the 10 o'clock hour and his middle of the night feed which was in the 2 o'clock hour.. I am looking forward to more much needed beauty rest!
  • Not only is he dropping feedings, but he is also dropping naps, mostly in the evenings. Which means he also gets very fussy and cranky about 7:00pm after he has been awake for 3 or 4 hours.  When his fussy time hits there is not much we can do except swaddle him up as quickly as possible, give him his Binky, and hope that he will finally give in to sleep. During this time he refuses to be put in his bed and will cry and cry. He knows daddy is home and he doesn't want to miss out on any fun or attention!
  • Speaking of crying, we also cannot implement "cry-it-out" tactics with him as we live in a condo with residents above and below us with paper thin walls in between. In fact, our neighbor above us has a one year old and when she hears McKay cry she will check on her daughter, thinking it is her!
  • Mac is definitely my child! He is quite the talker! When we play with him and ask him questions he talks back with his "oohs and ahhs," smiles, and giggles. It is one of my favorite things! 
  • Another reason he is my child...he loves attention! If you stop playing with him he rustles his legs and makes a little noise so you will look at him and keep playing! For this reason he also loves baths and diaper changes, because he gets your full attention! 
Bath time!
Diaper change
  • He is a total car baby and will fall asleep as soon as we start driving and will wake-up within 5 minutes of getting out of the car.    
Our car baby
  • Sadly he is also a tv junky and loves to watch with us and see all the flashing lights.
  • He is holding up his head really well and only bobbles just a little now.
  • My favorite time of day with him is mornings. He is sooo smily and happy when he wakes up! We pull him into bed with us and he puts on quite the show until he breaks into tears when he remembers how hungry he is.
All smiles!
  • He still sleeps in our room with us...oops! It is going to be really hard for me emotionally to move him into his own room, but for now I am doing it in the name of convenience of breastfeeding. Thankfully that is enough to pacify Les for now!
  • He can do independent playtime for 20-30 min at a time, but after that he is ready for some interaction and lets me know it!
  • He is gaining good control of his hands and fingers and loves to grab anything from my shirt, hair, necklace, or his blanket or binky strap. He is also staring to not only eat his hand as a sign of hunger, but is learning how to put his thumb in his mouth...which is so cute to watch now but won't be as cute when he is 3 years old with buck teeth. So I am constantly shoving his binky in his mouth instead. Also, he likes to put his thumb in between his pointer finger, it is pretty cute!
Look what I can do with my fingers!
Holding my Binky strap
  • Because he is learning to gain more control over his hands, he is also very helpful and loves to help hold his bottle or binky in 
  • He has gotten more saliva in so now one of his tricks is to blow bubbles with it.
  • He loves to pump his legs and is quite the wiggler!
  • He is incredibly ticklish!
  • He officially has brown eyes.
  • He is rubbing some of the back of his hair off but has grown in a ton of hair in on the hairline of his forehead. I have also given him a trim because the tips of his hair were getting so long!
Growing some new hair!
Before my much needed haircut!
After my haircut!


1 comment:

  1. Yeah I found your blog!I just have to say your the cutest Mom ever and Mr. McKay is the cutest thing EVER. I just hope he is not that blind with Aleksandra when they meet like Les was with you! We love you guys so much and love ya tons! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete